Monday, September 04, 2006

Some background information...

Several years ago I put together a set of pages reviewing games for kids. I've got four kids, and as an avid gamer, I was interested in making my hobby a family activity. When I bought a game, or considered buying a game, one of the things I wanted to know was whether it was something my kids could play with me. I looked over the net for reviews that focused on how well a game worked with kids, found one or two sites that were not regularly updated, and ended up writing my own reviews.

I still get email from people asking me whatever happened to the Games for Kids website. And even though my site has been offline for a while, I've always planned to revive it. Life being busy, I decided to start by setting up this blog. A blog is easier to update than web pages, and, to put it bluntly, I'm pretty much incompetent at doing much with HTML. So this should be a way to keep things flowing at a bit more of a regular pace.

My plans are to dust off some of the old pages and post them here. Then I'll start working through reviews I've written but have never posted. Eventually, I'd like to recreate a full-fledged website. Maybe I'll end up taking stuff that gets posted here and archive it on a website somewhere. I guess that is a goal to shoot for. Let's see how well I do at posting regularly to this Blog.

One thing I've learned is that the busy-ness of life with kids will cut into my plans to write and publish things on the web. I now know why the sites I found with reviews of games for kids were not regularly updated. I ended up just as busy as the parents who wrote the reviews before me. Before you know it you are no longer gaming with kids, you are gaming with teens. On the plus side of things, it opens the door to a totally different set of games. Now I'm playing Ticket to Ride with my youngest daughter instead of Chicken Cha Cha Cha. However, it also means I don't have much incentive to buy the latest Haba game, other than for the sheer joy of what comes in those yellow boxes.

So to make sure that the content here stays up to date with the latest releases for younger kids, which I don't have any more, I plan to invite reviews of games for younger kids by several of my friends who do have younger kids. Hopefully it will work to open this Blog up to submissions by a group of reviewers. I suspect there will be a way to take submissions from just about anyone...but more on that as this site develops.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

Awesome! I play games with my daughter who is 5 snd we've played about 70 different games so far.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home